Since the "theme" for this year's Picnic Game was somehow "staged" the other day, I thought it only fitting to include an actor's or in this case an actress's recipe for today's Picnic Game Update. Which would you like first? Nicole Kidman's Crispy Orecchiette With Broccoli, Pine Nuts and Garlic recipe or, A Picnic Game Picnic Letter Update??? Don't try to say either of those 3x:)
Let's go with the recipe first. Do you remember this book? I posted a few recipes from it and a few other "celebrity" cookbook recipes a while back as a Tribute to the Oscars.
When I noticed today's date, I realized it was Nicole Kidman's birthday, Ice Cream Soda Day, Plain Yogurt Day and also the day that Roy Allen opened his first Hamburger and Root Beer stand in 1919. That Root Beer stand would one day grow to be A&W®!!! Although I would love to celebrate all of those goodies, knowing me, any one of them would probably run a bit too long:) And since the Picnic Game is moving along rather quickly this year, a Picnic Game Update and a little bite are probably a better idea:)
So, here we have Nicole Kidman's recipe as found in Newman's Own Cookbook by Paul Newman and A. E. Hotchner ©1998 p.143.
Nicole Kidman's Crispy Orecchiette With Broccoli, Pine Nuts and Garlic
1-1/2 boxes (16 ounces each) Orechiette (little ears:)
3/ cup vegetable oil
2 tbs. slivered garlic
5 cups small broccoli florets
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tbs. balsamic vinegar
6 tbs. unsalted butter, cut into chunks and softened
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a stockpot, cook the Orechiette in plenty of salted boiling water until tender but firm. Drain, run under cold water, and drain again.
2. Have ready 2 medium sauté pans. Heat 1/4 cup oil in each until smoking. Ass the cooked orechiette carefully to the hot oil (really carefully:) dividing it equally. Spread the pasta out in even layers and cook for about 3 minutes, or until medium brown on the underside. Turn the pasta over and cook, without stirring, until browned on the other side. Transfer the pasta and oil to a large bowl and keep warm.
3. Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in one pan until hot. Add the garlic and broccoli, and sauté, tossing, for 5 minutes. Add the wine, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary, and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a large (13x9 inch) flameproof dish.
4. Add the browned orechiette, balsamic vinegar, butter, and pine nuts to the baking dish and toss over medium high heat until the butter is melted. Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and toss to combine.
5. Serve the pasta in 6 heated bowls or plates, with a generous grinding of fresh black pepper on top and the remaining cheese on the side. Serves 6
Before we get to the update, I must mention, I happened upon the same recipe attributed to Nicole Kidman on this website. As I read it, I noticed there were a few changes. (which is the reason I included the scanned recipe also:) If it is to your liking, be my guest:)
Picnic Game News
Quick recap. Just in case you missed the International Picnic Day post where I announced the Picnic Game for this year, let me quickly explain what's up! We're going on a virtual online picnic where each "guest" brings a picnic or a potluck dish that begins with a letter of the alphabet. Then, as in the children's game some of us might remember from our youth, we prepare a post and recite, I'm going on a picnic and I'm bringing... If you go to Monday's post, there's a video where you can get a pretty good idea of how the game is played. Of course, you can visit last year's Round-Up to see all the glorious picnic goodies we enjoyed!!!
The Letters! What a smorgasbord of goodies we are going to have this year!!! The letter A is all set to go and I'll be sending it along tomorrow. No, no, no, I'm not telling what it is. I will tell you that the Picnic basket is filling up quickly with all kinds of tasty tidbits but, we still need a few more munchies to nibble on. As of this moment, here are the letters that are still available:
Want to play the Picnic Game? Yes? Well then, trot on over to that Picnic Game link up there, read the "rules" and join us for our annual online Picnic Game!!! Boy oh boy, we all hope to "see" YOU there!!! Louise
1. Chronology of A & W Root Beer (USA)